Welcome to Louisiana geauxBIZ
Louisiana geauxBIZ.com is your One Stop Location to:
- Setup a New Business in the State of Louisiana
- Reserve a business name for a new business
- Register your business with Louisiana Secretary of State, Louisiana Department of Revenue, and Louisiana Workforce Commission
Steps to Starting a Business
Steps to Starting a Business
You must create an account the first time you use geauxBIZ and then sign in every time you want to view your businesses or file a business document. This is a new requirement implemented for security purposes, but it also gives you access to enhanced geauxBIZ features that were not previously available. For example, after signing in, you can:
- manage all your business associations on the My Businesses tab. It's no longer necessary to search for your businesses one-at-a-time to see the filings and amendments.
- view all your business filings on the My Filings tab. After your business filing is accepted, you can access your business documents for 120 days. There's no need to search for old email messages with links to your business documents.
- save a draft of your filing. There's no need to rush to complete your filing in a single session. Draft filings are available on the My Filings tab for up to 14 days after they are created.
- edit and resubmit rejected filings. You can correct rejected business filings and refile them rather than having to start over from scratch. You can edit and resubmit a rejected filing for up to 14 days after it was rejected.
The online business registration allows you to file your business (i.e. corporation, LLC, partnership, etc.), register for a Louisiana tax account number and apply for an unemployment insurance account number. Use of this system streamlines the registration process by providing access to three agencies in one place. The system also allows us to process applications more accurately and efficiently.
By reserving your business name first, you get up to 120 days to file a new business registration with a guarantee that you will be able to use the business name you want.
To file your new business registration with a name reservation already on file, sign in, select Getting Started, and then select the option to Convert a name registration to a new business registration. Selecting this option lets us find your name reservation record and enables us to apply the fees you spent on the name reservation toward your new business registration.
You will need the name reservation number you received when your name reservation filing was approved. You can find the name reservation number by clicking the alert next to the name reservation item on your dashboard.
An important step in forming a new business is to determine the type of business structure that you will use. Each business type has its own advantages and disadvantages (i.e. liability and tax consequence, among other things). You must decide which structure best suits your business objectives and needs. While the Secretary of State’s Office is unable to assist you in this determination, there are several resources available to you. You can contact a local SCORE office or Louisiana Small Business Development Center for assistance.